Thursday, September 14, 2017

A dialogue on When Calls the Heart that is troublesome

I will start this blog post by saying that I know that the TV series When Calls the Heart is set in early 20th century before women's vote and all that so I don't expect them all to be feminists on the barricades but... there was a dialogue in season 2 episode 8 which I want to bring up here.

Elisabeth sits by the piano with her friend Charles who, pretty clearly, wants her to be more than friends with her, despite the fact he knows she got something brewing with another man. Her sister said earlier that she needs to stop leading him on if she doesn't want him. He speaks about visiting her and she decides to have a serious talk.

The troublesome conversation:
Elisabeth: Charles. You know how I adore you. You've been a lifelong friend to me and there's nothing I wouldn't do for you but I can't let this continue any longer.
Charles: What do you mean?
E: I've enjoyed every moment we've spent together but this isn't fair to you. You deserve better than this.
C: Elisabeth. I know you believe you're doing the right thing and if the situation were reverse I'd be telling you exactly what you're telling me.
E: Thank you for being so understanding.
C: But as someone who sees you as possibly more than a friend I feel I have to be the one to make the decision as to when it's time for me to consider other options.
E: I don't want to argue.
C: Then... don't.
The problematic part about this conversation is that he doesn't accept her no, that she's not interested. He basically says that no matter what she feels he won't stop trying until HE decides so, which is very disrespectful.

I'm so tired of seeing stuff like this in TV shows! That and women saying no, no, no and then they're kissed anyway and then start kissing the guy back. It teaches both boys and girls that a woman's no isn't really a no - just continue because she she really want you, she's just playing hard to get. Or, even if she tells you to back off, continue because she'll come around in the end anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.