Monday, February 16, 2015

The sign of a creative person: a messy desk

I read an article about messy room = creative people. I found that interesting since my desk is such a mess and I have a long, long, long time ago let go of the idea that I would see more actual table surface. My mum, when I still lived at home, gave me many sighs and remarks about it (and my room) but I told her every time that I had an organised disorganisation, which is true because I can always find what I need.

A quote from the article:
Psychological scientist Kathleen Vohs, from the University of Minnesota, who set out to debunk this urban legend, didn’t confine her study to solely the desk. No, Vohs, clearly a creative mind, chose to think outside the desk. She just sounds messy. The creative kind of messy. Using a paradigm consisting of one messy room and one tidy room, and a series of trials, Vohs concluded that messy rooms provoke more creative thinking – and provided scientific evidence!

What I also found interesting was that I am not alone; Mark Twain, Albert Einstein and Steve Jobs also had desks which looked like something exploded on it. Also as Einstein said "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then what are we to think of an empty desk?" so at least my mind is full of fantastic ideas, amazing solutions to problems and mind blowing dreams.

So, with this in mind I thought I'd give you a list of the 10 weird (not natural things that should be there) things I have on my desk as I write this:
1. a bandaid
2. a battery charger
3. two bowls in different sizes, one with the leftovers of popcorn and the other with crumbs from chips
4. nail file
5. a pile of table cloths
6. one mug
7. one glass
8. a henna kit
9. a cardboard cut out from a package I have sent
10. an old list of items on sale that week in the grocery store (now thrown)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.