Sunday, December 28, 2014

A telling quote

"I will be able to walk my daughter down the isle and see my sons graduate."

Above quote was said by a man on the tv show NY Ink. He has a disease that weakens the muscles and he was 20 when he got his first pacemaker but he will fight on. I feel for him and his story I really do and I am sure that he loves his children so it is nothing against him as a person but that quote is so telling on how we see and treat kids by gender.

Wouldn't it be as important to see all children graduate, why is it more important to walk his daughter down the isle than see her graduate from university just as her brothers? I would have probably said "I will be able to see my children graduate and get families on their own".

We need to do something about this imbalance. The most important a girl does in life should not be getting married, she should be able to aim higher than that - just as a boy. She should be able to follow her dreams no matter what they may be; a mother or an astronaut. The society shouldn't stifle her dreams or limit them because she is a girl, she should be able to do whatever she wants, but sadly that is not the case.

We need to give equal opportunities to all children, no matter what gender they belong to. We need to start treating them equal in both what we say and do. I know it is easier said than done but I think things need to start changing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.