Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bechdel testing TV series next week

There have been a lot of talk about Bechdel testing movies but since I'm more of a TV series person than film I thought I'd give it a try with the series I follow right now. Next week I will write a blog post about each and every episode I watch and if they fail or not.

So what is the Bechdel test?
1. The movie has to have at least two named women
2. who talk to each other
3. about something else than men
(4. for at least 60 seconds)

The TV series I will evaluate
Glee 
Game of Thrones 
The big bang theory
Grey's anatomy 
Scandal
The originals 
HIMYM
Continuum
Nashville 
Vampire diaries 
White collar*
90210
* Might miss this due to Earth Hour.

General thoughts right  now
Some that I think will pass the test are Glee, Nashville and Vampire diaries but I'm not certain. Several of the others with female leads (like Grey's anatomy and 90210) I can only remember discussions about men so I'm not optimistic. Those I think that will fail are: Game of Thrones, Scandal, The originals, Continuum and White collar since most of their female characters only (or 99% of the time) talk to or about men.

Just thinking about this makes me quite sad actually that I'm not even certain that ONE of the series I follow will pass the Bechdel test. One of my favourite TV series right now (not airing on Swedish TV at the moment) is Hart of Dixie and I can't come up with even one time during two seasons that the women in the series have talked about something else than men, that's so bad. The only TV series I can come up with that actually pass the Bechdel test is Buffy the vampire slayer!

Check in next week to see my findings. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.