Monday, March 24, 2014

Bechdel testing: Game of Thrones season 3 episode 8

The second blog post in this Bechdel testing series but sadly this will be a much shorter than the former (Glee). Now, I here share a bit more about what the discussions were about since I don't feel they spoil anything which I was more afraid to do with my post about Glee.

Bechdel test rules:
1. two NAMED women
2. talk with each other
3. about something else than men
(4. for over 60 seconds)


This particular episode only had two occasions on which two women talked to each other, first one being Margery Tyrell and Cercei Lannister. They at first flatter each other and talk about singing which soon leads to Cercei telling Margery a warning story about the Reyne family who was the second most powerful family before the Tyrells became that, but that her father slaughtered them and left them to rot when they tried to be more powerful (just as the Tyrells try now).

The second discussion was between Daenerys Targaryen and her servant Missandei. They talk languages and Missandei says she's fluent in 18 languages, Daenarys mention that Khal Drogo praised her pronunciation in dothraki though Missandei corrects her when she tries to talk in dothraki.

As you notice, in both discussions they brought up a man (Tywin Lannister in the first and Khal Drogo in the second) so none of them pass the Bechdel test.

Conclusion
Game of Thrones season 3, episode 8 does not pass the Bechdel test

--
Disclaimer: I might have missed something and there might be errors above but I do this mostly for the fun so no hard feelings I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.