Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Good examples of versatility in gender portrayal

Sometimes one get stuck on everything that is just crap about something. I had a conversation yesterday about how sexist Family Guy is and how many series there are with men being a stereotypical man who manipulate his (sweet and caring) wife and couldn't care less about her "female interests", example: According to Jim.

Now, as I said in the beginning, it's easy to just get stuck there and end the conversation there but what about all the good series which shows another side of men and something more of a woman than a doting mother with a boorish husband.

Here are some of those that I think are good in that perspective:
Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Scandal, Grey's anatomy, Castle, Hart of Dixie, Glee, How I Met Your Mother, White collar and Fringe.

They all show more of a variety of characters no matter if it's sensitive and caring father or a bad ass FBI agent. (Just a quickie, when you first read it was the FBI agent male or female? If you thought male then it's a classic assumption to do, it shows how set we are in our ways to assume that it's male, in this case wrong since I was referring to Olivia Dunhamn in Fringe).

I think it's good that we've begun to have more variety in our characters and maybe soon we can dump that boorish man in favour of caring and versatile men. We have a long way to go though.

What other TV series can you mention that fits the criteria?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.