Friday, December 06, 2013

15 important quotes by Nelson Mandela (RIP)

I want to share with you some quotes by Nelson Mandela, who died yesterday at 95 years old, some that are important to remember in our society and some that are important to me. Mandela was truly a light among the world's darkness, someone we all should take inspiration from, a fighter for equality.

1. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

2. “When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw.”

3. “It always seems impossible until it's done.”

4. “For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”

5. “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

6. “There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”

7. “As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself... Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, but humility.”

8. “I am the captain of my soul.”

9. “Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, it is an act of justice. Like Slavery and Apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. YOU can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom.”

10. “We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?”

11. “You will achieve more in this world through acts of mercy than you will through acts of retribution.”

12. “I had no epiphany, no singular revelation, no moment of truth, but a steady accumulation of a thousand slights, a thousand indignities and a thousand unremembered moments produced in me an anger, a rebelliousness, a desire to fight the system that imprisoned my people. There was no particular day on which I said, Henceforth I will devote myself to the liberation of my people; instead, I simply found myself doing so, and could not do otherwise.”

13. “Your playing small does not serve the world. Who are you not to be great?”

14. “Live life as though nobody is watching, and express yourself as though everyone is listening.”

15. “I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.