Monday, April 15, 2013

Review: The case of the missing books by Ian Sansom

Left: Swedish cover, Right: English cover
I saw The case of the missing books while perusing the book sale online and got intrigued. I mean I'm a vegetarian bookworm and the book is about a corduroy wearing vegetarian from London who gets employed as a librarian in Northern Ireland(!). It got stuck in my mind and after a while I had to order that one and the sequel.

The case of the missing books is about Israel Armstrong who travel to Northern Ireland to work as a librarian but realise when he gets there that the library is closed. His new role is to drive the book bus which he at first refuses. The problem though is that all 15 000 books in the library are gone and since he's the new librarian it's his problem and he needs to find them asap. Unfortunately Israel isn't an easy going practical person...

I finished the book in a couple of days and maybe my expectations were a bit too high but even though the characters were great the book wasn't as fantastic and funny as I expected. I still finished it off pretty quickly though. What irked me though were all the namedropping of several companies, it didn't add to the story, it felt as commercials.

I would recommend reading it on those rainy and windy autumn days (and not the beginning of spring as I did) to get the into the atmosphere since the book is set in a grey December. It's well written and definitely a nice book to read before going to bed or when just relaxing under a blanket with a cup of tea.

--
I read the Swedish translation (left image), it's originally written in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.