Thursday, March 07, 2013

Turning 26

I sat down for a little time yesterday and wrote down my thoughts on turning 26. There's really no thread in below text, I just wrote as the thoughts came.

--
So, today is my 26th birthday... crazy. How are you supposed to be at 26? I always thought 26 meant feeling more adult (I don't) and to have a job and found the place to stay at.

When I was younger I thought I would study Arabic right about now since I wanted to become a foreign correspondent and with all the extra courses on top of my journalism degree I would be finished at 30. Instead I took a bachelor in cultural administration at the age of 24 with thoughts about taking a master in event or festival organising in the future.

I have friends that have settled down, gotten kids, bought dogs and house, who are younger than me. I have some friends that are older than me and still live as they did in their early 20's. I really don't know how you're supposed to be at 26.

I feel like anywhere between 22-24 not 26, it feels old and like a reminder I'm closer to 30 than I feel is comfortable. It also means that I won't be travelling on a youth ticket on the train anymore. I'm an adult. I know I have been an adult for 8 years according to the law but I think I have a bit of Peter Pan in me - I don't want to be a boring adult. I would like to find my dream job though.

I don't know, I don't feel any more different today when I'm 26 than yesterday when I was 25. I just have a hard time grasping I'm already 26 - where did the time go? Where did life go?

What I do hope though is that this year will be full of awesome times, that I will find my dream job, that I will move abroad, that I will maybe get a dog (deadline when I'm 30) and that I will be happy. I also hope I will get to see some wonderful places like Paris, London, Amsterdam and Prague which I've been wanting to visit for years.

I hope this year will be fantastic and with more joy than heartbreak.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.