Sunday, February 03, 2013

One of my most favourite poems ever

I first read this poem in high school in the book Im irrenhaus (In the madhouse) by William Flowe and fell in love with the poem inside the book. It's excellent for spoken word.

First the original German poem and afterwards my try at a translation.
Im Irrenhaus 
Wo wird die Wahrheit zur Lüge?
Wo führt die Wahrheit zum Tode?
Im Irrenhaus.  
Wo traut man seinen Nachbarn nicht?
Wo traut man seinen Freunden nicht?
Im Irrenhaus.  
Wo tragen die Narren das Zepter?
Wo sind die Weisen gefangen?
Im Irrenhaus.  
Wo werden Träume zerschmettert?
Wo wird Willkür gepriesen?
Im Irrenhaus.  
Wo haben die Wenigen alles?
Wo haben die Meisten nichts?
Im Irrenhaus.  
Wo ist eine andere Meinung Sprengstoff?
Wo ist ein Gedicht eine Bombe?
Im Irrenhaus. 
Spreng das Irrenhaus.
Äussere deine Meinung.
Schreib ein Gedicht. 

English version, translated by me so I'm sorry for any mistakes since I'm not that fluent in German anymore.
In the madhouse
Where does the truth becomes a lie?
Where does the truth lead to death?
In the madhouse.
Where will you not believe your neighbour?
Where does one not trust ones friends?
In the madhouse.
Where does the fool carry the scepter?
Where is the wise trapped?
In the madhouse.
Where are dreams crushed?
Where is arbitrariness praised?
In the madhouse.
Where does few have it all?
Where does most people have nothing?
In the madhouse.
Where is a different opinion explosives?
Where is a poem a bomb?
In the madhouse.
Blast the madhouse.
Outer your opinion.
Write a poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.