Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I believe in fewer guns, not more [thoughts]

David Thweatt, principal at Harrold High School in Texas (US) who has armed teachers, said on the news today:
"What precipitated having school shootings was making them gun free zones. We basically stuck a sign out in front of our schools that said 'Here are our most precious possessions in the world and we are not going to protect them'."

My reaction: What the fuck?!

Most people don't go to a school or other place to shoot people, usually there's something behind it. Take care of the root of the problem (like bullying and psychic problems) not the consequences (the shooting). Nip it in the bud.

I don't think the solution is to add more weapons around kids or at all for that matter, I think that is counter effective and it gives a false sense of safety.

I'm also going to add the fact that I live in a country with NO armed teachers, no guards, armed or not, at the entrances and no metal detectors. We have so far had NO school shootings (thankfully). According to Thweatt though Sweden and a lot of other (most?) countries around the globe has big signs saying: "Come shoot people in here" the question is why there seem to be more people in the US obeying those invisible signs than in the rest of the world.

I don't think all those safety precautions I've seen used in the US make the environment safer, the root of the problem will still be there. Address the problem of WHY these young men, which it mostly are, commit these crimes.

In my opinion it's better to remove weapons. I really hope that Obama's law changes will take effect. In short they're: Do better background checks on all who buys a weapon, no more than 10 bullet magasines and prohibit half automatic guns. I think that is a big step toward fixing the consequences, after that they need to fix the underlying problem to why people want to go to such a drastic measure as mass murder.

If there's no easy acces to weapons you won't solve your issues with guns but with words. I'm a firm believer that the pen is mightier than the sword and I always will be.

-
I've written about this subject before in:
Can we stop blaming video games? [thoughts]

The 3 minute long news segment from Swedish TV:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.