Monday, October 08, 2012

Review: Looper [action movie]

When I walked out of the cinema I told my friend "Finally! An action movie worth the name!" and that pretty much sums up Looper. It kept me on my toes with neat twists and turns, it wasn't over the top and kept me intrigued and fascinated.

Looper is about Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who lives in 2044 and works as a looper, a hired killer for the mob. He shoots people who are sent back from 2074 and afterwards get rid of their bodies. Due to a new boss in the future several loopers, in a short amount of time, get their 'loops closed' which means getting your 30 year older self sent back to you to be killed. After you've killed yourself you're paid in gold and is retired.

The guys from the future want to 'close the loop' on Joe and therefore sends his future self back (Bruce Willis) who escapes and tries to kill the one who will make the future a very dark place. At the same time younger Joe tries to find and kill his older self so he won't be killed himself by the ones he work for, in his quest he meets a little boy and that boy's mum.

It took me quite some time to get used to Gordon-Levitt's new look as he got prosthetic in his face to look more like Bruce Willis, but after a while I barely remembered how he normally looks like. I felt the prosthetic added that little extra in the movie to make it feel more real.

It also felt like Gordon-Levitt behaved and sounded a bit more as we're used to see Willis' act and sound but that wasn't negative, on the contrary, it suited the character. I think Gordon-Levitt did an excellent job and so did Willis who didn't go over the top action stereotypical as he does in some movies.

Looper overall was well done and I think the casting of actors was well thought through, even the little boy! Not once did I get a chance to wonder about how much time it was left. The detail work and special effects in this movie are amazing. I'm sure you can watch this several times and see something new every time and therefore I'm definitely buying this when it comes out on DVD.

See the trailer here.


Looper poster by ~DComp on deviantART


2 comments:

  1. Great review. Didn’t have me as emotionally-invested as I thought I could have been, but still, a pretty solid sci-fi flick that’s heavy on story and characters, which is all that mattered to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah, I agree but as you also wrote, the story and characters were really well thought out and that's so nice to see since that sometimes is forgotten in favour of making the movie look cool.

      Delete

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.