Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Göteborg Book Fair and what I dragged home

I managed for the first time in my life to visit Göteborg Book Fair, it was this weekend. It's quite weird actually that I haven't been there until this year since I'm a complete book nerd with lots of shelves full of books and with a dream of owning a private library with picture windows and comfy chairs...

The place is full of people and full of books and of course all kinds of author societies, some antique bookshops (where I bought most of my stuff), book signings and of course book publishers of all sizes. It was like a very crowded heaven.

View from the upstairs
Photo: © Petite Caja

 I had told myself to not go overboard with the shopping (hey it's books) and I must say I succeeded, I only bought 7 books while my friend bought like 13-14 books. Crazy. I mostly fell for beautifully illustrated children's books, one of them I'll get back to in a post of its own just because it's so wonderful.

Photo: © Petite Caja

Three beautifully illustrated children's books, one comic, one book by a blogger I follow (which he signed), one book about Aung San Suu Kyi whom I look up to and of course the translated closing arguments made by Tolokonnikova in Pussy Riot. Great mix I say, it says a lot about who I am I think.

Photo: © Petite Caja

Book list for the interested:
1. Järnfjäril by Chee Soon Juan
[English title: To Be Free: Stories from Asia's Struggle Against Oppression]
A book about Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel peace winner and the rightful political leader of Burma

2. Slutplädering av Nadezja Tolonnikova i Pussy Riot*
[English: Closing arguments by Nadezja Tolonnikova in Pussy Riot]
Special for the Book Fair, the closing arguments translated into Swedish, all money goes to N.T.

3. Ottolina och mysteriet med den gula katten by Chris Riddell*
[English title: Ottoline and the yellow cat]
A very quirky and beautifully illustrated story about a girl who solves mysteries.

4. En man som heter Ove by Fredrik Backman (signed at Book Fair)
[English: A man called Ove]
A book by one of my favourite bloggers (Swedish) who always make me laugh.

5. Skönheten 1 by Kerascoët & Hubert*
[English: Beauty 1]
A comic about a really ugly girl who is granted a wish by a fay and is thereafter considered beauty personified.

6. Morris Lessmore och de fantastiska flygande böckerna by William Joyce
[English title: Fantastic flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore]
It's so pretty. I haven't it read but it's about a boy who loves stories - like me.

7. If you see a fairy ring by Susanna Lockheart*
[English title: same as above]
It's a book, with poems, that is both for adults and children with amazing illustrations and quirks.

* I've already read all the books with this next to its name. I just couldn't help myself, they were so pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.