Monday, July 09, 2012

Music Monday: Janis Joplin

There's always been one song with Janis Joplin that have captured my heart and that's Piece of my heart. It was first recorded 1967 by Erma Franklin* (sister to Aretha Franklin) whom it was originally written for. It didn't become a mainstream hit until the year after though, 1968, when Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin as lead vocals made a cover of it.

Piece of my heart has since then been remade several times. Big Brother and the Holding Company's version though was 2004 ranked number 344 among the 500 greatest songs of all time by Rolling Stone.

* All her versions I could find on youtube have gotten their sound disabled. Now I'm even more intrigued of how the original sounded.

I think the live version of the Joplin version is the best so here you got Piece of my heart live!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.