Friday, July 20, 2012

Drag Queens - on and off stage by Leland Bobbé

Some days ago I stumbled over a photo series called Half-Drag Artist by the award winning photographer Leland Bobbé. It portrays split photos of drag queens in their full splendour on one side while they're being their daily self on the other. It's like someone would have captured Clark Kent when half of him was turned into Superman. The best part with this series: both sides are shot at the same time!

My personal favourite: Miss Fame, © Leland Bobbé

It fascinates me how these artists can transform themselves with just make up and hair. I'm mesmerized. I also like how they use what they got, how they accentuate their own natural features, for example: check out their lips and cheekbones.

What I loved the most with the series though was that it's excellent work by both the artist and the photographer! Truly great work. That's why I felt I had to share this with you all. I therefore contacted Leland Bobbé and asked if I could use some of his photos. He said yes and was kind enough to send me a of couple shots (thank you!).

This is what Bobbé himself says about Half-Drag Artist:
These images are part of an ongoing series of portraits of Drag Queens in half drag. With this series my intention is to capture both the male and the alter-ego female side of these subjects in one image. Through the power of hair and makeup these men are able to completely transform themselves and find their female side while simultaneously showing their male side. These are composed in camera and are not two separate images joined together.
The wonderful Fifi Dubois, © Leland Bobbé

I definitely recommend you to check out Leland Bobbé's blog and portfolio for more photos. Two of his works (one of them being Fifi) can also be seen at Factory Art-gallery in Berlin until 4th of August.

--
Note: I asked the photographer for permission before using these photos. 
If you wish to use the photos, ask Leland Bobbé first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.