Thursday, June 14, 2012

A true inspiration: Aung San Suu Kyi

It was in senior high that I learned about Aung San Suu Kyi the first time and it was also then I decided to do a report and speech about her. She inspired me and because of her I joined Amnesty International.

You should never let your fears prevent you
from doing what you know is right.

Aung San Suu Kyi

She have been under house arrest three times, the latest time was for 15 years which she was released from in 2010. Her only crime was that her political party won 82% of the seats in the parliament and it didn't suit well with the reigning military regime. Several of her followers are still imprisoned.

When I was in high school it was all a dream that she one day would be free and could speak freely instead of sending out secret tapes. It was a dream that she could go to Oslo and accept her Peace prize but 2012, this year, now, she's in Europe and on Saturday she's going to Oslo. It's 21 years late but she finally is free to collect her prize. This year she also won a seat in parliament (again) and on 2nd of May she took her oath.

I think what got me the most about her story was her determination and the hope of a bright future for her country even when she was struggling personally. Her husband was diagnosed with cancer but she couldn't go to England to see him because she knew the regime wouldn't let her in the country again and they refused her husband to visit. He died some years later without her by his side. She stood tall and now here she is today, a free woman in the Burmese parliament.

Aung San Suu Kyi taught me to never give up, to fight for those in need and to fight for what you believe in. She taught me that democracy is a must and she introduced me to Amnesty where I learned more about crimes against human rights all around the world: torture, death penalties, imprisonment just because of belief, ideas, skin colours, sexuality, religion... and I knew it in my heart that it was wrong and I had to do something.

She and Amnesty taught me that mountains can be moved if you're stubborn enough, it just might take some time. I have learned during the years, since my first spark when I learned about the detained Burmese leader, that fight with the means you got no matter if it's with petitions, letters, speaking up when someone's mean or taking care of someone when they need a shoulder.

If you're feeling helpless, help someone. 
Aung San Suu Kyi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.