Thursday, June 28, 2012

Review: Puss in Boots

I didn't think I would like Puss in Boots (spin-off and prequel to Shrek) as much as I did, specially since the Shrek movies never really captured my heart.

It has the same pop cultural references like Shrek has, which is a neat touch for us above 20. I mean who doesn't know what movie Humpty Dumpty refers to when he says:
First rule of Bean Club, don't talk about Bean Club. The second rule of Bean Club... don't talk about Bean Club. 
or who Puss' P-logo and horse in front of sunset-ending refers to? Same goes with the characters/rhymes like Mother Goose and Humpty Dumpty - maybe we haven't heard the original story but we know the characters exist outside this movie.

The movie still keeps it fresh and exciting for the kids though. I'm sure the Bean Club quote above is funny even without understanding the reference. I would say the movie is geared more to older "kids" though. Shrek and Puss in Boots are like The Simpsons... I watched that series when I was younger but it's not the same as when you get a little older and understand a bit more, it adds another level of the watching.

The character I liked the most must have been Humpty Dumpty, I mean at first it's a bit weird with... an egg, but he has such an expressive face that I just can't help myself. I also really like the comedy relief he gives. It was a well rounded group of characters that mixed well.

I  will probably buy the DVD but I do not want to see a sequel! It has been done enough with Shrek already and all other movies on this earth like Beethoven, The little mermaid (don't watch the sequel!) and Batman, Spiderman, Transformers... so I hope Dreamworks just lets Puss in Boots be one amazing movie to watch over and over again.


Puss in Boots by ~artspell on deviantART

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.