Sunday, April 15, 2012

Review: Tales from the Earthsea

I've never read Ursula K. Le Guin's books about Earthsea so I cannot comment that. Apparently Hayao Miyazaki asked her years ago to turn Earthsea into a movie but she refused, after seeing Totoro she changed her mind. Le Guin wanted Hayao Miyazaki to direct it but it was his son who ended up doing so. She liked the movie's (which is based on the third and fourth Earthsea books) aesthetic but had an issue with how they changed some things.

I must say I was pretty confused several times during the movie. It's a good movie but it doesn't come near some of Studio Ghibli's flag ships (Howl's moving castle, Spirited away and The secret world of Arrietty). I miss the 'life' that  is in for example Arrietty, the garden feels alive, in Earthsea it's more flat. I miss the magic.

It's a good movie and I'm glad I own it but it mostly made me curious about the books which treats evil in another way, according to Le Guin:
But in the film, evil has been comfortably externalized in a villain [...] who can simply be killed, thus solving all problems. In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are not conceived in terms of such a war, and offer no simple answers to simplistic questions.


Tales from Earthsea fanart by ~Leelian on deviantART

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.