Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: The secret world of Arrietty

Yesterday I watched Arrietty based on Mary Norton's children's novel The borrowers and it sailed up as my second favourite of the Studio Ghibli movies (after Howl's moving castle of course). Such a sweet movie and the images in it are just devine, specially the garden! What struck me the most wasn't the movie but the one hour interview with the director Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Hayao Miyazaki (who wrote the screenplay).

I feel so sorry for Yonebayashi because he seem so sweet but a bit bullied by his co-workers, I just want to hug him. During the second half when it's the interview with Miyazaki I just want to hug Yonebayashi even more because Miyazaki truly isn't nice to him. I cannot say how it's really is but my heart bled for that poor director. If only more people in the world were that sweet.

So not only did the movie capture my heart so did the director who Miyazaki just put as director because no one else was around while Yonebayashi looked so proud to be given this opportunity which he accepted after some repeated asking.

It's sad that the interviews were made half way through production because I really wonder what they would have said if it was made after the movie was done. Yonebayashi is at least a man that will be etched in my mind for a very long time.

To end this post I'm giving you the wonderful Arrietty's song performed by Cecile Colbert. English version (with lyrics in the section below the video) can be found here. Observe though that the Japanese version seemed to be missing a minute or so, but it's the best video so far uploaded:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on my scribbles. Feel free to share :) I will answer here on the blog.

copyright

© Petite Caja - All rights reserved.